Monday, August 15, 2011

Homemade Concentrated Laundry Soap-I Did It!


This is a picture of my Homemade Laundry Gel...now I know I am not the first to make Homemade Laundry Soap but I was very happy with how it all turned out and super glad to have my Laundry & Mud Room clean, finally!  So I wanted to share the recipe with you all as well as the site that inspired my version of the recipe that I got from The Little House in the Suburbs

Concentrated Laundry Gel:
(double batch)

1. Grate 2 Fels Naptha Bars-add to 2 quarts hot tap water in a sauce pan, heating over medium low heat until all soap is       melted to cream soup consistency & mustard colored.
 2. In a 2 gallon container add 2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda & 2 cups Borax to 2 quarts hot tap water.
 3. Add half of melted Fels Naptha Soap & water mixture.
 3 Add 2 quarts hot tap water.
 4. Add rest of melted Fels Naptha mix.
 5. Rinse pot with final 2 quarts of hot tap water.
 6. Add 1 cup of 3X All and mix everything together, this stops goopiness and will turn your soap mixture to a lovely green.
 7. Let mixture rest, mixing once at the 2 hour point and then again at 4 hours.
 8. Let set up for 8 hours (final consistency is kind of like cold gravy-sounds weird I know!)

I hope this proves useful for your home as well.  The amazing thing about it is it costs less than 1cent per l/3 cup, which is what I use per large load and works beautifully.  The one thing I noticed is you need to put it directly into your laundry load in your HE washer as it is quite thick and won't completely rinse out of your dispenser area...for me, not having to put this into a giant bucket to make it a thinner consistency and store it was a big benefit and worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment